After much deliberation and thought, it is with a heavy heart that I share with you that we have decided to cancel Weeks 1 & 2 of Overnight and Day Camp at YMCA Camp Eberhart.
The decision to suspend programming for these two weeks was incredibly difficult on both a historical and emotional level. We continue to follow guidance from the American Camp Association (ACA), Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), state licensing, and local health departments to support our programming decisions and have always been committed to providing a safe environment for campers and families.
Families who have children registered for session 1 and 2 have a few options:
- Donate Your Deposit/Fees. Support camp through this difficult time by donating all or a portion of your camper deposit/fees.
- Choose a New Week of Camp. Switch your camp experience to a week later in the summer.
- Carry your registration over to 2021. Secure your spot for next year. Day campers who choose this option will receive an additional $10 discount and Overnight Campers will receive an additional $25 discount. Additionally, any 2020 early bird discounts will carry over to 2021.
- Receive a full refund. Receive back your deposit and fees.
Please note that to ensure all requests are properly fulfilled, we ask they are received in writing. Families can respond directly to this email.
We are hopeful that there will still be camp this summer. Our understanding is that the ACA and CDC will be sharing recommendations for camps by May 15. Our plan is that we will be able to use these recommendations, in combination with health department recommendations pertaining to Michigan, Indiana, and Illinois, to be able to make final decisions about our summer camp programs between May 15 and May 22. This is our hope and we will let you know if this timeline changes due to new information.
In response to COVID-19, camp will look different this summer.
Many things will be different as we adjust to new safety measures, but we don’t know exactly what they will be. A few examples of things we expect to be different:
- Food Service: We expect that family-style dining will have to be altered or removed this summer to limit the number of individual people touching serving utensils and passing germs. This could mean that we have dedicated staff who serve campers at their tables, that everyone moves through a line to get food or something else entirely.
- Check-In Process: We expect that campers will need to go through increased screening before they start their Camp Eberhart experience. This could include temperature checks or more sophisticated COVID-19 related tests.
- Large Group Gatherings and Free Choice: Campers may be required to move more around camp with their cabin group and remain physically distanced from some or all other groups. This would change how we run activities, open periods, and evening programs.
Although camp will look different, there are many things that will remain the same. Our core values of caring, honesty, respect, responsibility, stewardship, and FUN will continue to guide us in our actions and our experiences at camp.
Safety, community, personal growth, and the pursuit of wellness will continue to frame the development of all our campers and staff. We will achieve this through thoughtful reflection, exploring the natural environment, and a healthy dose of wackiness, songs, cheers, togetherness, and so much more!
The Camp Eberhart Spirit will shine bright in whatever form camp takes during Summer 2020 and beyond.
We anticipate that you will have more questions as there are so many uncertainties right now. The best way to get in touch with our team is to email firstname.lastname@example.org. Your email will be routed to the appropriate staff member and we will get back to you as soon as possible. We will have staff in the office on Monday, May 4 from 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. to answer phone calls. We can be reached at 269-244-5125.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we continue to navigate through these difficult times.
In the Spirit of Camp,
YMCA Camp Eberhart